- Two-thirds (64%) of people in Canada know a woman who has experienced physical, sexual, or emotional abuse.
- In the area of IPV (Intimate Partner Violence), 44% of women reported experiencing some form of violence by an intimate partner in their lifetimes.
- Approximately every six days, a woman in Canada is killed by her intimate partner. From 2019 to 2021, a total of 451 women and girls were killed by violence- That’s almost 151 women every year.
- Approximately 7 million women (30%) in Canada reported that they have experienced sexual assault at least once since the age of 15. This is compared to 8% of men.
- Despite only accounting for 5% of Canada’s population, Indigenous women and girls represented 28% of female homicide victims in 2019. ”. The Canada wordmark appears in the left bottom corner.
- 95% of sexual assaults do not come to the attention of police. A major reason is fear, shame, and embarrassment of being judged, blamed, or not believed.”
Now is the time to UNITE if we are ever going to change these stats.